Family Law & Divorce

Family Law Affidavit ($50,000 or Less) Family Law Affidavit ($50,000 or More)

The dissolution of a marriage is a trying time for any family.  The Law Offices of Kelli J. Bynum can offer competent legal representation and compassion when you need it the most.  Many lives are affecting during the course of divorce, especially if there are children involved.  We are here to help make this difficult life transition as seamless as possible.  When faced with a problem that is as emotionally charged as family law, you need someone with the experience and knowledge it takes to effectively represent and counsel you.

The following issues are commonly contested during a divorce and the Law Offices of Kelli J. Bynum is here is guide you through each of them:

Child Support

  • Child support in Florida is governed by the Child Support Guidelines.  A number of factors are considered when determining child support including each party’s net income, child care, health insurance, and number of overnights spent with each parent. Child support can be deviated upwards or downwards with notice and approval of the    Court.
  • Child support may be modified at any time after the Final Judgment of Dissolution of Marriage by filing amended Family Law Financial Affidavits.  Modifications may be petitioned for based on the increase or decrease in either party’s salary.

Child Custody / Time Sharing / Visitation

  • Standard time sharing in Florida allows for the parent without primary time sharing to have visitation with the child(ren) every other weekend and one week night per week.  There are many deviations to this standard that may be sought, especially when both parties are in agreement with a deviation.  There are different provisions that are available to a parent to lives out of town.
  • Time sharing may also be modified at any time after the Final Judgment of Dissolution of Marriage by filing a Supplemental Petition to Modify.  The grounds alleged must include a substantial change in circumstances as well as proof that the modification is in the best interest of the child(ren).

Parental Responsibility

  • Parental responsibility includes the making of day-to-day decisions on issues ranging from school, health care, religion, and more.

Temporary Needs

  • Certain matters in a divorce can temporarily be resolved during the pendency of the case.  Issues such as child support, timesharing, and alimony may be addressed by the court prior to the signing of the Final Judgment.  At times, a motion and order for temporary needs is necessary to establish clear boundaries during the proceedings, especially if the divorce is contested and will be litigated beyond mediation.


  • Florida is a no fault state, meaning that thing such as infidelity, domestic violence, and abandonment are not considered when determining the division of assets, child support, timesharing, or alimony.  Alimony is based on one party’s need an the other party’s ability to pay.  Other factors are considered such as the length of the marriage.  There are many different types of alimony, including temporary alimony, bridge-the-gap alimony, rehabilitative alimony, and permanent alimony.  Alimony will be deducted from the payor’s income and added to the payee’s income when determining child support.

Division of Assets/ Debts

  • Florida is a state which recognizes the equitable distribution of marital assets, including both real and personal property, and debts. 


  • If you have a child in common with a person you were not married to but are no longer in a relationship with, you still have rights.  A Petition to Establish Paternity must be filed to establish time sharing and child support with the Court.

Post-Dissolution Matters

  • Many aspects of a divorce may change over time.  One party might make more or less money than at the time of the Final Dissolution of Marriage.  Sometimes it is necessary to change a parenting plan because a parent re-locates.  If a modification of the final judgment in your case becomes necessary, contact the Law Offices of Kelli J. Bynum, P.A. to have a Supplemental Petition to Modify the Final Judgment filed.  A modification is usually granted if there has been a substantial change in circumstances and it is in the best interest of the child(ren).